Monday, May 21, 2012

Where Angels Fear to Tread!



     My mother always said that from the time I could walk, I’d go where angels feared to tread. While that’s not entirely accurate, there’ve been many times when it’s been much closer to the truth than not.
     Along with that “personality trait” came its close partner-in-crime, an insatiable curiosity about things. Lots of things. Maybe too many things.  Maybe I should’ve been born a cat.

     In elementary school, years before my days of peddling Girl Scout cookies, I went door-to-door selling Christmas cards. I had no apprehension whatsoever about asking people to buy my wares. I wasn’t shy and I wasn’t scared.  The money was a side benefit.
     As the president of the Future Homemakers of America club in high school, I stood shoulder-to-shoulder and went hand-to-hand in a milking contest. To paint the picture, my competition, the president of the Future Farmers of America, was raised on a dairy farm. I, on the other hand, always lived in town, just down the street from the school and the pool and the library. I’d seen lots of cows before, of course, but the milk at my house usually came from the corner grocery store.
     As an adult, my curiosity won out when I gathered my courage and walked the 12-feet of white-hot coals at a Tony Robbins’ event.
     I’ve held snakes and alligators and tarantulas because I just wanted to try it. However, last summer I met my match and have taken somewhat of a sabbatical from having to touch everything.
     It all started out so innocently. I had just left a doctor’s appointment and was celebrating good news. There was sunshine and blue skies and it was just a beautiful day in every way.
     As I crossed the street to the bus stop, I spotted a most unusual site, more unusual than our normal “unusual” things we see in downtown Seattle. Sitting there as if it were the most normal thing on earth, was a woman holding a little bitty ferret…wearing an itsy bitsy leash around its teeny weeny neck.
     I grew up with cats and dogs and the occasional fish.  I even caught a wild chipmunk one time and kept it for a pet until it passed on to chipmunk heaven a year or so later. I had a precious little lamb, a chicken and a white mouse named, creatively enough, Templeton (from Charlotte’s Web, of course). But ferrets? The closest I’d ever come until this one fateful day was observing a friend’s - from across the room.
     However, something about the little leash on that young ferret’s neck just really piqued my interest that day. I couldn’t help myself. Before I thought twice (or logically), I found myself in conversation aiming straight toward trouble.
     “Your little ferret is so cute,” I told her. Duh. Yeah. Anything the size of a beanie baby with a tiny leash on its neck would be cute.
     “Is it okay if I pet it?” Hmm. Thinking back, maybe just one other little question should’ve gone through my brain and out of my mouth at that moment. Guess which one.
     “Oh yes, you can pet her. She’s as gentle and sweet as an angel,” the little rodent’s totally-enamored owner told me. Ok, it was a hot day, I was totally drinking the koolaid and then she added to seal the deal, “In fact, she’s eats at the table with my children.”
     Okay, any clear-thinking, intelligent person, especially one who has raised two daughters, would’ve probably spent more than a half a second mulling that one over. But no. Before she’d barely finished the sentence, my hand made its way to the top of the little angel’s head.
     As I petted, the proud owner told me more stories. The dear thing all but took ballet lessons and played with Barbie dolls and had tea parties with her children. Yep, feeling more comfortable (or hypnotized), I petted it some more.
     As I went in for the approach the third time, I felt like this little critter and I had bonded. She might ask if she could come home and spend the night with Auntie Beth. And then, quicker than you can say canine teeth lacerations, she obviously had a change of heart.
     Before I realized what was happening, the little darling had turned on me and was biting the heck out of my wrist.
     “Oh my gosh, she’s biting me!” I half-yelled, half-cried in disbelief. The harder I tried to pull my arm back, the more desperately she clamped down. I was shaking my hand in a frenzy trying to break free from the little wingless vampire as her owner tried to pry her off.
     “She’s had her parvo shot and her rabies shot and she’s been spayed,” the woman emphatically told me.  “See?” She stretched out Miss Fangs and showed me the scar on her tummy.
     At that moment, however, I didn’t care about medical history! All I was thinking  was “don’t faint,  Beth; you don’t have rabies, you aren’t going to lose your arm, you just got good news from the doctor, God wouldn’t let you die on the streets of Seattle right after that…”
     And then I saw a man I hadn’t noticed before. I’m pretty sure he wasn’t travelling but he did have a suitcase. The next thing I knew, he’d pulled out an alcohol pad like a nurse uses when you get a shot.
     “Whoa!” my mind was whirling but I remember thinking, “Now where in the world did Dr. Kildare come from?”
     I was trying to take deep breaths because who knew what might happen next! I turned around and voila! The little leashed ferret and her proud owner had skeedaddled. Missing in action. AWOL.
     I needed something to drink. I needed to get out of the hot sun. I needed medical advice. Stat.  I made my way to the pharmacist in the drug store right next to the bus stop.
     I showed the good druggist my still-bleeding wrist.
     “Oh, you’ll probably be okay,” she told me. Um, she could’ve read a Mayo Clinic journal to me verbatim about all the reasons I had no reason to worry but all I heard was one little word:  probably. Something about “probably” being okay was about as comforting as “she’s had all her shots” (meanwhile Little Elvira was probably on her way to the ferret dentist to have my blood cleaned off her teeth) and “here, I just happen to have some alcohol pads in my pocket”! I’ve tried to think the best of why this Good Samaritan conveniently had alcohol pads at the bus stop.
     We live near a big city. Anything can and might just happen.
     I took the ferry back to my safe little island where I’m used to seeing dogs and cats and even the occasional pet bird on its owner’s shoulder. Sans leash.
     I made it to my doctor’s office where he and his nurse tried not to laugh as they prepped me for my tetanus shot as I told the story.
     Since that day, I’m been sticking to coals and cows and the selling of Christmas cards.   I’m just gonna keep my hands to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment